Need to Change Your Name After a Divorce? Follow This List

Need to Change Your Name After a Divorce? Follow This ListMany folks wish to change their names after a divorce. Some people may want to go back to their maiden names; others may be looking for a fresh start. Changing your name as part of the divorce process, however, is only the first step. You will need to update a substantial number of accounts and legal documents.

Below, we’ve created a list of places, organizations, and documents that will need your attention after you have changed your name.

  • Social Security card
  • Driver’s license, car title, and registration
  • Passports
  • Property titles
  • Post Office and PO Box
  • Checking accounts (including checks and ATM card)
  • Savings accounts, CDs, and money market accounts
  • Credit cards
  • Retirement accounts and 401K
  • Investment accounts and IRAs
  • Mortgages & loans
  • Voter registration
  • Employer (email address, work plate, business cards, websites)
  • Deeds & trusts
  • Life insurance
  • Health insurance
  • Car insurance
  • Homeowners insurance
  • Renter’s insurance
  • Will & other legal contracts
  • Medical and dental records
  • Utility companies
  • Club memberships
  • Personal email addresses and social media accounts
  • Inform friends and family

Do you own a business? There may be more to do. Contact our business attorneys in Winston-Salem and Greensboro to get started.

If you are considering changing your name after your divorce in North Carolina, Hartsoe & Associates, P.C. can help. We will request that the change be made in the initial filing, making sure the change is noted in the order as the exact new name. There is a small fee for this service, but it is worth it. If you wait and want to change it later, it involves a lot of paperwork and the expense is far higher, so if you are going to do it, do it in the divorce.

Hartsoe & Associates, P.C. provides comprehensive counsel for individuals, families, and business owners. To schedule a consultation at one of our offices in Winston-Salem or Greensboro, fill out our contact form. Proudly serving the Piedmont Triad and the surrounding areas of Yadkin, Surry, Stokes, Guilford, Alamance, Davidson, and Davie Counties.

This blog contains general information and does not constitute legal advice, and the ideas contained within may not apply to your specific case. For legal advice about your case, please contact an attorney directly.